Finally tried the ubuntu touch build for the pinephone again.
downloaded build 75 from here
initial install was a few days after that build. Camera still did not work.
ran the update, and it downloaded a few apps, and a new system image.
Camera now working without any hacks!
- is sluggish, not realtime update on screen
- the screen image is reversed; so text is backwards; but actual photo saved is not
- preview thumbnails not working in the viewer
- thumbnails do show up in file manager browser
- all images seem to come out landscape, no matter how the phone is held.
- focus also sluggish, need to hold steady or may focus on background
- lower light a bit grainy
- camera app did not work with front camera
will continue to try things out
Other non camera notes
- when screen blank comes on, wifi connection drops, need to wait, or manually turn on and off wifi
- video did not work
- youtube working fine in browser